5 tips for beginners at the gym

by - April 14, 2015

I started exercising properly about 3 months ago now and when I started I definitely had some delusions about it so I thought I'd share with you what I've learnt so far hopefully it'll help anyone thinking of taking the exercise plunge!

1 kg weights - start small and build up!


1. The gym is not a fashion show, despite what the YouTube girls have you thinking. If there's one trend going on at the gym it's cheap and cheerful, I'd say the majority of people at gym (including myself) have donned clothing from decathlon where you can get a pair of workout trousers for less than a tenner - bargain!
2. It's not all about cardio. Cardio exercising might help you drop the weight faster but all you'll be is a slighter smaller version of what you already are. Contrary to what you might think if you really want to slim down and stay there weights are the way to go, remember muscle is a lot smaller than fat.
3. Your shape won't suddenly change. Just because you've been exercising for a month doesn't mean you'll actually see a physical difference. The only changed I've noticed in 3 months is an ever so slightly reduced double chin! Think how long it took you to pile that podge on in the first place, you can't reverse years of laziness in a week.
4. It's not about the numbers. By this I mean the ones on your scales. Don't even look at them, if you're exercising to hit a number ask yourself why. You should be aiming to achieve what makes you feel comfortable in yourself not a specific number, besides it's not uncommon to actually gain a little weight when you first start working out. Muscle is heavier than fat too of course.
5. Give everything a go. Get a member of gym staff to teach you how to use plenty of different equipment so that you can switch up your routine if you start to get bored. Don't forget to try the classes too, they can be a great way to push yourself and workout a different body area, plus you'll quickly learn what you like and what you don't. Spin? Never again!


So those are just a few things I've learnt from my short time in the gym and I have to say perhaps the most surprising thing is I'm really enjoying it!



You May Also Like

0 comments