My Life After Graduation

April 27, 2015


For many people out there the time at University will be rapidly be drawing to a close and all those years of security in the education system will soon be coming to an end. I myself graduated in July last year and since then it’s been a turbulent year for me so I thought I’d share my experience.

Leaving Uni was going to be tough after 18 years in education.
Success #1 – I was organised, when it came to the end of exams in June I had a holiday planned for almost immediately after and them and  another planned for the month after graduation. It meant after a year of hard work I finally had some time to sit back, relax and enjoy myself.

Success #2 – I’d spent the first semester of my final year searching far and wide for graduate schemes and was lucky enough to have landed a great one. It meant that I had some security for after I finished, the scheme would start in September giving me a summer to rejuvenate and best of all, the wage was amazing!

Graduation is a happy day but there's an overwhelming sense of uncertainty.


Mistake #1 – The scheme I had been accepted on required me to relocate 150 miles from home with poor transport links and put me in the middle of the countryside. I thought the job would be so interesting that none of this would matter; I enjoyed hiking in the hills so I was sure I’d be happy to live in the country. Wrong. I hated it, moving so far away didn’t suit me at all, I hardly saw my boyfriend, I wasn’t near anything and I didn’t know anyone. I should have thought it through more carefully.

Success #3 – Whilst I hated where I was living it meant that I would drive the 150 miles every Friday night and Sunday afternoon in order to spend some time at home so what I did gain was an awful lot of experience and confidence at driving on the motorway. A small victory, but a victory none the less.  

I had no idea what to do at the ceremony, just copied everyone else!

 Mistake #2 – The scheme I’d chosen had sounded great, a huge wage and a really exciting industry with loads of potential for the future, but the reality? They hadn’t decided what department I was to work in until days before I started (despite months of knowing I was coming) I was put somewhere completely irrelevant to my degree and doing work I could have done straight out of high school. What about all the future potential? There was none unless I intended on becoming an engineer. The scheme was crap, I alone and I felt completely trapped. 




Success #4 – I couldn’t stand the life I was living and I changed it. I handed in my notice before I’d even found another job to go to because I knew that life wasn’t for me and I didn’t want to find myself becoming even more miserable by sticking with it just because everyone else thought I should.

Success#5 – I found another job, it was much closer to home and relevant to my degree, I took a huge pay cut but it meant I’d be happier, I could have a life and I could be closer to my friends and family.





So here I am in that second job after graduation, happy to be close to home and happy to have a good life in the evenings and at the weekend, but job wise I still haven’t got it right. My current “relevant to my degree” job has even less work to do than when I was on the scheme. Perhaps desperately grabbing the first relevant thing I could find was mistake #3?

It’s 10 months on from my finishing university and I still don’t have a clue where I’m going or even what I actually want to do! All my organisation didn’t pay off at all and I feel at a loss. So if you’re finishing university soon and have no idea what to do, don’t worry the rest of us don’t either!
Good luck!!  

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I actually wrote a post on why your degree doesn't matter - for the reasons you described in this post! I totally agree!

    doitfortheirony.com / creative lifestyle blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out! If I had time again if definitely do things differently

      Delete
  2. Graduating university is a tough yet freeing time. Now you get to explore & see how "real life" is. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I make the most of the real life opportunities! :)

      Delete
  3. What an amazing blog post !!

    well done :)

    New Post -> Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    Have a wonderful day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting post to read - even though I'm actually only in my first year of uni! But I always think it's a good thing to look ahead :)

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I wish I was back in first year! I agree though it's really good go start thinking beyond it

      Delete
  5. I'm graduating in July and I have done no organisation of my life after, I kind of just go with the flow, I really hate trying to plan out my future aha! I'm glad you found a job closer to home in the end! I definitely don't think I could move really far away from all of my friends for a job!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd been less organised and gone with the flow now I look back on it! I wouldn't recommend moving away :P good luck with the last of your final year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post :) I'm in my second year of a 4 year university course right now and it definitely makes me nervous thinking about what to do afterwards! But I guess whatever will happen will happen :)

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's definitely the best attitude! I did a four year course as well, I wish I was still on it! I hope you're enjoying your uni course :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I had to pick my choices in year 9 (aged 13) so I just decided I would like to be a nurse and everything I have done since is geared towards nursing. I didn't realise until recently that I actually don't know what I want to do, I'm one of those "Oh Id love to do journalism" "how good would criminology be?" "I wish I could do Law", there's a million subjects I want to do. So I just simply decided I'd do it later, I'll decide when I have life experience and not when im forced because of societies rules! :)

    I hope it all works out for you soon love. You don't need to rush into anything! As long as you're happy, that is all that matters

    X

    blackesque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that sounds just like me! 4 years of studying science has made me want to do anything but that now! I get exciting about the thought of all sorts of career paths.
      I'm still trying to work out which path will make me happy.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this post! I already graduated and have yet to really do what makes me happy. But I'm trying, keep trying! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope we all do! There's nothing worse than doing a job where you're wishing your time away!

      Delete

Stay in Touch

Name

Email *

Message *