Photography: Looking at the stars

by - April 19, 2015

I'm going to start this post with a little disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm doing with a DSLR camera but I'm certainly trying to learn!

My self learning process is a result of reading different blogs and forums and just generally getting out there and having a go.
After looking at some beautiful night time photos i decided to have a go myself and let me tell you now, it's not spectacular but it's a start!

Constellation: Orion 

Slightly blurry foreground but the stars are coming out!

I enjoyed the effect of moving clouds through the pictures. 

My favourite shot of the night, those aren't shooting stars unfortunately, just plane trails. 

As you can (hopefully) see I certainly progressed throughout the night - these shots are in chronological order. Nighttime photography is something I had never really though about trying but now I'm hooked, I already can't wait for the next clear night so I can try out a much darker location.

If you fancy having a go the settings I used were an aperture of 3.5, shutter speed of about 30 seconds ISO of around 200 for the first two shots and 3200 for the last two.

Incase you were wondering (and the odd foreground features don't give it away) I was working in my own back garden where, unfortunately, there is a lot of light around. Ideally the consensus is the darker the better but I thought I better get some practice in before I go wandering off in the night.


Do you have any tips to pass on to a newbie to a DSLR? Or do you fancy giving some nighttime photography a go yourself?

You May Also Like

12 comments

  1. Gorgeous photos. I have no DLSR tips, sorry! I'd love to learn though :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) it's definitely a tough thing to master but should be worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a DLSR camera for about a year now and have figured out pretty much most of it but I think there's still a lot that I can do with it that I don't know about. But definitely going to try this on the next clear night, the stars look so pretty! (: http://coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryony! It's great to hear I've inspired you to have a go :) I hope your star shooting turns out well!

      Delete
  4. These photos are incredible. I'd love to learn more about the constellations. I knew more when I was younger. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I'd love to know more of them too, I think this will be an excellent way to learn!

      Delete
  5. I'm absolutely jealous! I live in the city now and I can hardly see stars from my apartment. Thanks for sharing and your photos are wonderful!

    Cheers,
    Keith

    http://sartorialnoir.blogspot.com
    twitter: @_keithrodriguez | ig: @keithrodriguez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Keith, I'll post some more as I get the practice, shame it's rare to get a clear night.
      I'm sure there's plenty of interesting photography that only works in the city!

      Delete
  6. May I ask what DSLR you are using?
    And you are right, I can really see how you got better over time. I like the colours in the first few ones a lot, though. That tinch of orange makes it all look so magical. My most favourite photo here is the last one. So many stars :D And no objects that distract from the tree and stars. I think that makes a big difference :)
    letscoba.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm using a canon EOS 550D with the Canon EF-S 18-200mm lens. I thought that the first two were more fairytale like!

      Delete
  7. gorgeous pictures!

    makeupmusicbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete