Review: Poltergeist

by - May 26, 2015

As part of my jam packed weekend of bank holiday activities I headed to the cinema, of course, to watch a remake of an old horror Poltergeist! I used to love staying up late watching horrors when I was little so the older ones, despite their shockingly bad effects, are quite enjoyable for me. The recent remakes haven't done anything for me however, I'm thinking The Omen and Amittyville Horror, but I thought I'd give poltergeist a go!

Poltergeist
15 | 1h 31mins | Horror/Thriller

The Plot:
A family moves into a new home but there's something not quite right from the start; cupboards that refuse to open, odd electrical static... It soon becomes clear this is more than just a few new house snags this is a haunting! The families youngest daughter Maddie can hear the spirits and talks to them and one night during a huge storm she is lured into their realm. The family are desperate to get their daughter back and turn to paranormal investigators for help.

Trailer:


My Thoughts:
Ok, so I have to say the thing that disappointed me the most about this film was the lack of self stacking kitchen chairs - a scene I enjoyed in the original. As far as a horror remake goes this isn't on the scale of The Omen bad but it isn't great either. I found the first half to be quite good, the storyline had been successfully modernised and although the acting was a little sketchy I was enjoying it. However, after the scenes where Maddie is taken by the spirits things go down hill, especially with the arrival of ..... the film steps over that barrier of being entertaining to just being tacky - what a shame. Overall I would say this is a watchable modern horror, not something to rush out and see but something to catch when it's on TV in a few years time.

My Score:
3/10 

You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad :P I only jumped once!

      Delete
  2. Ah, I'm seeing it tonight. It's a shame it's a disappointment to you!
    -
    prettymadthings.blogspot.co.uk // x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it :) I'm just a sucker for the old horrors!

      Delete
  3. I usually am such a scaredy cat! I never manage to watch horror movies alone :D.
    Your blog is such a nice mixture of film reviews and life style^^. It's really extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  4. I watched the original for the first time not that long ago and was kind of shocked at how bad it was. How could anyone think that was scary!
    x
    Charlotte
    http://www.fashionhappens.be

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you think that one's bad you should check out Salem's Lot, now that's a shocker!!

    ReplyDelete