5 Things to think about before going to University

by - June 03, 2015

I still like to think of myself as a recent graduate, it's been a year since my final university exam and a lot has changed since then. Something that hasn't though is that concern that university was never right for me in the first place so I've come up with my 5 things to think about before going to university list. Hopefully this will make future candidates think more carefully than I did instead of just going with the flow.


  1. The cost. I'm not really talking about tuition fees (although they are ridiculous) as they just going to come out of your wage like any other tax. I mean the cost of living, it's no secret that Student Finance's maintenance loan will not cover your rent, bills, food and travel. If you're lucky enough to have rich parents then no problem but for the rest of us this is a strain.
  2. You know what you want to do. If you do know what you want then is a degree the right way to go about it or would an apprenticeship be more appropriate? There's definitely a lot more work available now for younger adults than even 5 years ago when I was at college.
  3. You don't know what you want to do. Don't just pick a subject you think it will be easy to get a job with after - believe me! I've found myself pigeon holed for jobs now and taking a step out of this environment means a big pay drop. It might contradict what your teachers or parents say but I'd say pick something you love not what seems sensible.
  4. Will you have to move? Leaving home for university might be great for getting your independence but do you know the new city you'll be living in? It's a good idea to get a feel for the place before you decide blindly to spend the next 3+ years there! I've known people drop out because they didn't like the city! 
  5. University doesn't give you a good picture of the working world! Although university is all about building up skills the random scattering of lectures throughout the week mean it's a real shock when you're tied down to a regular working pattern - you mean I can't go off for an hour at 12pm to shop for some makeup! Ugh.
I hope this does help if you're currently undecided about the right path for you, remember it's never too late to change your mind I'm certainly in the process of that right now!
Maybe one more bonus tip because I'm feeling so generous...  don't just do what everyone else is!

If you have any words of wisdom for those undecided about their future or in this situation now and don't know what to do then please leave a comment below - I'd love to know what you have to say!!

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. I totally agree with the cost. thankfully I had savings so it wasn't too much of a struggle, but student finance barely covered my rent, so it sucked having to spend my own money for other stuff.

    Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to live at home but it was still £100 just on travel! It's annoying having to spend money you've worked hard for on grown up things when you're still a student!!

      Delete
  2. Amazing post dear!

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just finished all my AS level exams so need to start thinking about what I'm going to do after college for this time next year and these are some really good tips. :)

    Holly

    www.hollyoliviacreates.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your results! I hope this has helped :)
      It's definitely worth putting more thinking time in than I did!! I just went along with it all.

      Delete
  4. This is some excellent advice. Good luck moving forward.

    Ka
    unhappilyneverafter,com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such good advice that I wish I'd known when I was applying to uni! Especially number 3, I started a law degree thinking that it was a sensible choice only to drop out when I hated it. Now I study psychology, which I love, and uni is so much better! xx
    www.chasingbelle23.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you managed to switch to something you love quickly!
      You definitely know what that nagging feeling is there but to actually listen to it and switch is courageous :)

      Delete
  6. Great tips!! I'm starting uni in September and I'm definitely taking theses advice with me ;) thanks for sharing

    Dorky-and-weird.blogspot.com

    Xoxo Jessy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!
      I really hope you enjoy uni and your course! I definitely wish I was still at uni :P

      Delete
  7. I'm starting Uni in September and hopefully I'll be studying at a Uni that is really near my house so I won't have to be leaving home and the cost won't be as astronomic which I think is great! I suppose I'm a very lucky girl! These are great advice, thank you so much :) xx

    riitamacedo.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beneficial to live near home! It really keeps the costs down and if you want a night out everyone has a spare sofa!
      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. Money rules the world, and therefore I've got a feeling that many people really don't do what they really want. In Switzerland, many people just go to university and do economics or law because the career opportunities in these areas are strong. However, many of them end up bored and unhappy, wasting the actual talent they might have. Thanks for your advice, I hope that many more people read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame isn't it! Thank you for reading, it's interesting to know what it's like in other countries! Hopefully it's never too late to change so there's always the opportunity to do something you love!!

      Delete