Potemkinskie Derevni

by - June 23, 2015

I thought I'd share with you a slightly different post today, I heard a story this week and it's very fitting for the week I'm having at work but then it spoke to me on a more personal level, it begins with a Russian expression: Potemkinski derevni - something that appears impressive but in reality lacks substance.
Now let us hear the story...

I had no picture for this post, so please enjoy the scenery of Ennerdale Water in West Cumbria

In 1787 Catherine the Great intended to visit the Crimean Peninsula, when Potemkin heard of this visit, in an attempt to impress the Empress,  he had fake villages set up along her route to make it seem like he had done an impressive job. Rumour has it he had peasants standing in the villages smiling and had the same herd of cows moved along the route each day to make the villages look thriving.

So this week at work my colleagues and I are certainly being used as the peasants, smiling at all of the visitors to our building and pretending that it's an amazing place of research when in reality nothing at all is up and running.

It made me reflect on how I'm feeling at the moment, like I'm constantly wearing a mask and no one actually gets to see what's behind it. Perhaps we all put on a front when in reality something different is going on beneath the surface.

I hope you enjoyed that tale and if nothing else we all learnt a new phrase!

You May Also Like

12 comments

  1. Interesting story, but where do I even start with the pronunciation of that phrase? haha

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. i speak a little bit of russian and i've never heard that phrase or story before, thanks for sharing!
    natasha // eyebrows, inc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely be able to pronounce it better than me then :) Glad to share it!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I feel the same way, I just feel like my head is not on my work but on other things. :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll both get through it :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing post dear!

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Tale! You are not alone though! I often feel like I'm hiding who I truly am, pretending to be something I'm not. I think that's the beauty of blogging, I can say what I truly feel without the judgement because this community is so great! :)

    vvibrantsunset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging really is such a grat way to express how you really feel! It's so true :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. I've heard that story before but I always find it interesting. I hope you feel better soon!

    http://sarawritesadiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was fascinating :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Great post! Unfortunately nowadays it is still applicable....

    ReplyDelete