Home Made Soap

July 22, 2015

When it comes to Christmas gifts I really appreciate receiving crafts, this is one I received from my sister and it may have taken 7 months to get around to using it but I'm still excited! I'm a lover of bath products so the thought of learning to make my own soap is fantastic, especially when all the quantities of products I need are already pre-measured for me - easy!

kirstie-allsopp-natural-soap-making-kit

This easy to use kit comes from Kirstie Allsopp, all things craft and homemade enthusiast, and was very simple and easy to follow so let's see how I'm making my soap...

The kit comes with almost everything you need minus water, a cloth and plastic to line the mould. You start out by lining the mould, I used a sandwich bag, taping the edges down should allow you to keep the surface a bit flatter - not necessary but will make your soap smoother!

line-soap-mould

Now the boring bit is done the fun can begin! I started by adding the coconut oil, sunflower oil and Shea butter into a microwavable bowl and heating until the oils had all melted.

oil

I found it took about 2 and a half minutes to completely melt the solid oils. This now needs to be heated to around 50-60 °C or until it's hot but not boiling. Whilst the oil mixture is heating it's time for the more dangerous side of soap making!

sodium-hydroxide

Glove are required for this part! Slowly add sodium hydroxide (more commonly known as caustic soda) to 250 mL of water - this will heat up and produce fumes, so wear gloves and do this in a well ventilated area!

mixing-soap

Once the soda crystals have dissolved and oils heated to the correct temperature its time to mix them together! The resulting mixture turns a creamy colour and begins to thicken. The instructions recommended a cycle of 10 minutes mixing, 5 minutes resting. I repeated this cycle 3 times. Once it's thick enough to leave a trail, if you drop some mixture from a spoon on top, then you can add your scents! My kit came with lemongrass oil and dried lavender flowers.

home-made-soap

Once all the ingredients have been mixed pour the soap into it's mould, cover with a cloth and leave for around 24 hours to set before chopping it to the desired shapes - remember it's still caustic for at least 2-3 weeks so wear gloves!

So that's currently where I'm up to with my first experience of making my own soap! There's a few steps I'll be carrying out tomorrow but then it's a case of leaving the soap to cure. 

Stayed tuned next month for part 2 of my soap making to see if it was a success! Are you a soap maker, do you have any tips? 

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. This soap looks great! My boyfriend actually makes his own shampoo and deodorant. He loves it!

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Hope this turns out great, looking fwd to it :) too bad I would make a huge mess trying to make this :p

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great post!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun! I've never made soap before, but I've seen some tutorials/DIY's around and I'm definitely intrigued :) Excited to see how you found the soaps!

    Erin
    http://orchidsandtea.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a cool idea !
    xoxo,

    atwednesdaysiwearpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soap making is great fun! I didn't try to make it from scratch though - mine was melt and pour bases with colours, fragrances and herbs to include to my liking! :D Just melt, pour, set and go! :) I did them ready for Christmas in lovely winter spice fragrances.

    I definitely need to do some more in the future - I might get around to it this autumn!

    Michelle -x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to make soap but I'm terrified I'll burn my self or it will explode haha. Can't wait to see the next step

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, great post with super idea :) Thanks for the nice comment on my blog :)
    Kisses
    http://bambolai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought a handmade lavender soap but making one myself seems so much more fun. Thanks for the tips! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool!! This would be so fun to do - I've really gotten into handmade soaps recently so I would love making my own because its even more homemade, hehe.

    Erica
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rachel. How neat. I always wondered how to do this. I will try it. Thanks.

    Ka :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to try this! Thank you for sharing! :)

    http://sarawritesadiary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homemade things truly are the best, such a creative post! x

    Just followed you on bloglovin! - I am 'elizabeth (Ice Cream Clara blog)'

    elizabeth | icecreamandclara.blogspot.co.uk | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a good idea I might have to give it ago myself!

    blabberblair.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Stay in Touch

Name

Email *

Message *