London Tourist: My top 4 Alternative Must Do's

July 13, 2015




I love visiting London, it's become something of a yearly ritual for James and I over the past 4 years and I think it's fair to say we've now seen our share of what London has to offer toursits. So today I've compiled a list of 4 things I think are Must Do's if you're visiting the English Capital. I've gone for a more alternative to the traditional Big Ben, London Eye and Buckingham Palace as I wanted to show that there is so much more than the obvious attractions! These are all non-seasonal so should be availavle all year round - Umbrella's may be necessary!

london-ice-bar

4. Visit the Ice Bar
Nestled away in a back street off Regant Street you'll find London's Ice Bar. If you've never been to one before then it's worth the experience! Prices range from £14.50-£16.50 (depeneding on when you book) and for that you'll get 40 minutes in -5 degree temperatures - capes and gloves provided! As well as a cocktail in an ice glass! This is a better experience with a larger party so if you're travelling alone or perhaps in a couple I'd give it a miss. 

aqua-shard-view

3. Go up the Shard
Located right by London Bridge Tube Station, The Shard is London's tallest building at 310m to very tip top and boasts one of the best views of the city. There are a couple of ways to go about getting this great experience depending on how high you want to go!  Visiting the 72nd floor for a rather pricey £25.95 per adult can be booked through the View from the Shard website and will give you the best view of London. However if you don't mind not going right up why not visit Oblix (level 32) or Aqua Shard (Level 31) to still get a stunning view, it's free entrance to the bars but cocktails will set you back on avaerge around £17 a piece.

wicked-apollo-victoria-london

2. See a Show
London has an excellent theatre scene and whether it's plays or musicals, moderns or classics, there is certainly something for everyone's taste! I'd recommend visitng the box office in Leicester Square to grab some cheaper tickets. I've seen Wicked  at the Apollo theatre, a wizard of oz themed musical which was very good and The Woman in Balck at the Fortune Theatre which really was an excellent play! If fancy shows aren't your thing then why not visit Shakespeare's Globe and see a classic for as little as £5! The Globe Tour is really good too!
1. Ripping Yarns Tour
As a tourist in London this is by far the best thing I've done and even better it's only £8 for an adult! Ripping Yarns Tour is run by the Beefeaters from the Tower of London and takes you on a walking tour of London giving you the history (and mystery) of Jack the Ripper. I honestly can't recommend this enough, you get a very knowledgeable guide and will learn fascinating things about not only the murders but the city itself! The tours leave Tower Hill tube station each night at 6.30pm and lasts around 2 hours. You can pay online to get £1 knocked off the price but I think it's better to pay at the end of the tour - you might even want to give them a tip it's so good!

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, I'm going on vacation to London soon and I'm definitely checking these places out!! I can't wait to visit the Ice Bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a great place to visit, I hope you have a lovely time!!

      Delete
  2. I've lived in London for 9 years and not once have I gone to the Ice bar :p It is a must, I just never get around to it!

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely get down there soon! We always wanted to visit but it's taken us 4 years to get around to it :P

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this! I love finding out about new things to do in the capital; I'm so going to do the Jack the Ripper tour! x

    www.dizzymisselizabeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed I'd certainly go on it again. Be prepared for them trying to make you jump!!

      Delete
  4. This such a brilliant blog post! I love going to London and I am going for the day tomorrow. A really great place to visit is the Churchill War Rooms if your interested in history. Its where Winston Churchill worked to win the war. I am also hoping to see the tour on Jack The Ripper when learning about it I was always interested in where it happened and who it happened to!

    - Ellie Xx

    @thatweirdoellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, it's always so interesting!! Thanks for sharing :)

    Sarah xx
    www.sarahmua.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved the visiting Shard especially Gong, but it really was pricey! Definitely one for special occasions. Great post Rachel!

    Sasha
    xxxx

    www.ladylamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It's a dream of mine to visit London. On top of all the regular toursity sites, I wanna see everything Harry Potter and Beatles related :) and go to some fun pubs!

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. the ice bar looks amazing, my sister have been and i'm so jealous xx
    www.emilyjanewebb.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! I absolutely love visiting London... I still haven't been to The Shard so the next time I'm there I will definitely visit after reading your review.

    Lovely blog, I look forward to more posts!

    Natalie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely all about the shows! I saw The Commitments a few weeks ago and it was amazing

    http://www.e-k-w.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely all about the shows! I saw The Commitments a few weeks ago and it was amazing

    http://www.e-k-w.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete