Review: True Story

July 28, 2015

True Story is, believe it or not, based on true events! I love going to see a somewhat "true story" film at the cinema. Jim and I ventured out to a new cinema for this one as our favourite wasn't showing the film - how frustrating! So let's see what I thought of this supposedly... True Story. 

True Story
15 | 1h 39mins | Crime/Drama 




Trailer

Synopsis

Mike Finkel (Jonah Hill), an up and coming journalsit, is found out to have fabricated a story surrounding African slave children which leads to his dismisal from the New York Times. He returns to his hom town in Montana, desperately seeking work, when he is tipped off about a man accused of quadruple homicide, Chris Longo (James Franco) has been using his name as an alias. Finkel agrees to meet with Longo in prison to find out exactly who Longo is and the true story behind his crimes. 

My Thoughts

Based on true events that took place in the early 2000's this is an interesting and watchable crime/drama film. Jonah Hill takes on a much more series role and it's nice to see this depth to his acting, James Franco takes on the role of a slightly psychotic criminal but perhaps he was too obvious a choice for this role. Whilst the acting is good the storyline in places could be weak, I know this is a "true" story and so it's not going to be all thrills but in my opinion it would have been good to explore the way Longo's mind was working a little more or perhaps look in more depth at Finkel's personal life. Felicity Jones deserves a mention here, great American accent! Whilst remaining fairly quiet throughout most of the film she has a very moving and powerful speech when she visits Longo in prison - by far my favourite scene of the film. The soundtrack was neither here nor there and the cinematiogrpahy nothing special. Overall this is a decent watch but nothing to get too excited about. Perhaps one to wait until it's on TV to watch. 

My Score
6/10


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I've been really interested in seeing this! Thanks for such an honest review x

    http://heart-autumn.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting it to be a little more thrilling, but overall I quite liked it.

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this and whilst it was interesting, I wouldnt watch it again.

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete

Stay in Touch

Name

Email *

Message *