Why knitting is my favourite hobby

July 06, 2015

i-love-knitting

When I was growing up I used to watch my mum knitting and I could not at all understand how it worked! I was fascinated but it wasn't until September 2013 that I finally asked her to show me how! 

arron-cabel-hoodie

I started out with something simple, a scarf but it wasn't long before I was completely obsessed! I got the knitting bug and moved on from a scarf to a jumper!

knitted-jumpers

The first jumper I made wasn't great, despite following the pattern it ended up having a neck so small I couldn't fit my head through! 

knitted-summer-cardigan

I quickly learnt and it wasn't long before I was doing even more complicated knits like the cardigan above! But why do I love it so much?


arran-knitting

  1. It's relaxing (mostly) I find it really therapeutic after a long busy day to sit down and do something a bit repetitive, something that grows with every stitch! 
  2. Something my Nana said to me really stuck, You've created every single stitch in that. Sounds obvious really, but when you've spent months on a piece it's so rewarding to look at it and think I did absolutely everything in that!
  3. Leading on from that, it's very rewarding it can take a long time to finish something but when you finally do - wow!
  4. It is a lot cheaper than buying the item - generally. This entirely depends what it is, an Arran jumper in Topshop could set you back anywhere from £50 upwards, to knit it? About £20. 
  5. The quality of what you produce is so much better than what you'd buy in a fashion shop - really. You don't realise until you make your own how cheap and nasty those New Look jumpers are.  

arran-cable-knitting

The image above shows you my newest project, it's going to be an Arran hoodie. Arran is definitely my favourite style of knitting! I love the effect of cabling and they're so cosy to wear in the winter! 

If you're looking for a hobby to take up knitting really is a rewarding one to learn! There are so many tutorials online! I'd recommend charity shops and car boot sales for the needles - there's definitely no need to pay the craft store prices!

Are you a knitter or someone wanting to learn? I'd love to know what projects you're undertaking! 

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. you are so talented! The above pieces look beautiful and I would love to learn, maybe make a video teaching us the basics :p

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've thought about a few basic videos before, maybe I should!!

      Delete
  2. Your pieces look so nice and cozy! My mum knits quite a bit as well, though mostly mittens which are heavenly in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I bet they are, I've never tried a mitten!

      Delete
  3. I know the basics of knitting but I'd love to be able to knit arran jumpers, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arran's are by far my favourite to do, it's so rewarding to the see pattern :) Lots of practice is really the key!

      Delete
  4. I think you've made me want to try knitting now! It definitely does sound rewarding when you finish a piece, and so much cheaper than being jumpers from the high street!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend everyone give it a try! I'll never buy a big wooly jumper again :P

      Delete
  5. I've never tried knitting but you're SO good at it! wow <3

    www.anacelinelabod.com
    ps. there’s an Urban Decay Naked Palette Giveaway on my blog if you want to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just lots of practice I think :)
      Thanks for telling me I'll definitely check it out!!

      Delete
  6. Love the wool for your latest project - that's going to look really good when it's done I reckon! I haven't knitted since I was at school but I do think there's something wonderful about a creative passtime like this - it's almost like meditation in a way! I've recently got one of those grown up colouring books which is also very therapeutic - but I can't wear the results at the end! x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does :) It certainly can be like meditation when you really get into it!
      I love the look of those colouring books, maybe I'll get one myself :P

      Delete
  7. You're so advanced now! I've only done scarfs and that kind of stuff so far, and I've been knitting for around ten years! Keep it up because you're really talented :)

    Great blog!

    Natalia
    www.lindifique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarves are the perfect starting point I think, a good way of practising more unusal stitches too! I'd love to see some of your pieces :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, that sweater with the buttons is so lovely! I learned to knit when I was 7/8 but sadly my skills have never progressed much. I guess I just don't have enough patience but I can definitely see how it can be therapeutic.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's always time to try again :)

      Delete
  9. lovely knitting! I wish I had your talent! I am more of a cross stitch person (totally different haha! ) :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoy cross stitching too although I'm definitely not that good at it :P

      Delete
  10. I also love knitting however lately I have kind of abandoned the hobby! Maybe now its summer can get my act together and join te club! The photos look amazing! x

    vvibrantsunset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I started to abandon it, I was struggling with a piece and it was getting frustrating that's why I'm on the arron now, to kick start my love for it again :)Good luck with your knits!!

      Delete
  11. Amazing! I'm not patient enough to do that (;
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need plenty of time to learn!

      Delete
  12. These are absolutely beautiful!! I wish I could knit!

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to knit like crazy and was even working on a business plan to open a local yarn store! I've stopped completely, but I think it was good for me so I may get back into it. Like you said, very therapeutic. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Stay in Touch

Name

Email *

Message *