Review: Everest

by - September 24, 2015

Everest
12A | 2h 1 min | Adventure/Drama


Synopsis
Set in 1996 Everest follows the true story of Rob Hall's(Jason Clarke) Adventure Consultants team on their quest to summit Mount Everest. Due to the increasing popularity of the climb lots of groups are trying to takle the climb and all are aiming to summit on 10th May - Rob's lucky day. Unfortunately things take a turn for the worst, in the form of a blizzard, and we witness one of the worst disasters to ever unfold on Everest. 

Trailer



 My Thoughts
 It might sounds starnge but something about this film really connected with me and I loved every minute of it. I've found a fairly mixed bag of reviews, most claiming that the cinematography and setting is great but the narrative just isn't there - I'd have to disagree! Perhaps more secondary characters weren't developed that well such as Scott Fischer (Jake Gyllenhaal) but I think to have tried to retell everyones story would not have made for a good film.
We get to understand each of the main characters motives and reasons for being there as well perhaps as their own perosnal demons. The acting is very good (lets all appreciate how great the New Zealand accents sounded - especially you Keira Knightley!) and I found myself to be completely caught up the every minute of the story.
On a side not I did find that Beck Weathers (Josh Brolin) was perhaps not portrayed as likeable enough, having read his personal story afterward he seems like a lovely guy! 
Parts of the film were filmed on location such as shots of base camp and I found the sets to be stunning! 
If you enjoy true story films then I thoroughly recommend you go and watch this movie!! 

Score
8/10

On a side note: Has it inspired me to climb Mount Everest? I'd be straight up there if I had that kind of money!

You May Also Like

7 comments

  1. It's funny because my first thought when I saw trailers for Everest were more about the actual act of climbing than the film itself ('Why would anyone want to climb Everest???'). It didn't really occur to me to decide if I wanted to see the film. Based on your review, I think I would go see it if it came to a theatre near me (that's always the tricky part here!). Plus, I love Keira Knightley and Jake Gyllenhaal ;) Thanks for sharing!

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't in it as much as I would have liked but he was cool when he was :)
      I hope you get a chance to watch it!

      Delete
  2. I sooo wanna watch this! Glad you enjoyed it :)
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to watch it, too, but until now I hadn't the opportunity :)

    http://www.youtube.com/c/MissLovelyAttitude
    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to watch it, such an emotive film!

      Delete
  4. I am going to see this true story film. My time schedule forces me to be very selective. but this one really looks intriguing.Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

    www.chicuturnonglitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete