Why I've Been M.I.A

by - September 07, 2015

It's been a little while since my last post - sorry! So I thought I'd share the reason behind my recent absence.
The past month has been a bit hectic, I've been desperately applying for jobs, attending interviews and assessment centres as well as spending a week away with the family. All in all, I've just been too busy!
I'm currently working on a post to share my trip to Ireland with you all, it's a place I visit every year and genuinely do love it! I'm also going to be visiting York for the first time and can't wait to document be trip!

positive-action


Onto the bigger part of my absence though, the job hunt.
 It's no secret that I'm very unhappy in my place of work (it's something that often comes up in my lifestyle posts) and I've been doing my best to remedy that. 
I believe part of my problem in my job hunting is that I really have no idea what I actually want to do - a problem I know I share with so many of you out there!
So I've been looking down different career paths and have somewhat settled on what I want. I've had a few interviews and even attended a graduate assessment centre (they're never fun) but unfortunately I still tap away at this post in the job I hate without having handed my notice in - yet!
I'm currently waiting to hear back about a job that I was supposed to hear back from last week (is no news always good news? I hope so) but in the mean time I've decided to take some more affirmative action and start making choice in my life rather than go with the flow.
I'm quitting. My job that is, not this blog! Regardless of whether I hear back from the other place or not it's time to stop being miserable and time to start believing in myself. 

So what's the plan?
Yes, this bit is trickier. I'll be handing my notice in this week which means I'll be working until the end of September and then I'll be out on my own.
  • Obviously the job hunt will continue but it can have a more focused effort instead of a mad panic of desperation in escaping here.
  • With important Birthday's and Christmas around the corner I'm going to be a bit frugal (sorry gift recipients) it's going to be mostly homemade gifts from me this year! I'm planning on making my family member homemade hampers - so watch out for a lot of DIY's and recipes!
  • I'm also going to take some me time. When I finished university last year I already had a job lined up and feel like I missed out on some time to be selfish! I'll be hitting the gym, hopefully trying out some yoga and really working on feeling the best I ever have.
What if it all fails?
That's what haunts me, day in day out and it's what has stopped my quitting any sooner. But is it really better to be in a secure job and miserable that living vicariously but free? I guess the best way to find out is to just go for it. 

I certainly plan on picking up a part time job in the intermediate to keep myself rolling along but if your twenties aren't about being selfish and learning who you are then we all might as well skip along to thirty now! 

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate that people take the time to visit here and want to say a big thank you to everyone that comes back :)
With more free time from October you can be sure that there will be plenty of new content on its way, especially more seasonal posts, so keep reading! 

You May Also Like

11 comments

  1. I agree your twenties should be about you being more selfish and taking more risks! I hope you find the job you are looking for :) xox

    Sonam - http://fashtasticflare.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll keep looking but I've decided not to get too worried if I can't find what I want right now :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah just take it one step at a time :)

      Delete
  2. we have missed you beauty!

    Hope all goes with the job hunt! I love DIY, so looking fwd to them!

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's good to be back! I'm looking forward to making them too :D

      Delete
  3. I totally understand you on the job side of life, my hours in my job got cut to barley nothing several months ago and I was forced to go on to a government benefit ( I truly feel thankful we have that here in New Zealand). Over the 2 years I have been with the company I've been rejected 5 times for the position I'm qualified for and would like and just generally don't feel appreciated or valued. I've been on the job hunt for the last year but hey everything happens for a reason and I know something positive will come along for both you and I! <3 Sending you some major positive vibes and good on you for doing what's right for you! <3

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such an encouraging response! It's so good to have support when making a decision like this, I keep going back and forth on whether it was the right one!
      Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having with your job but I think you're right to be trying to find something better :) Good Luck!

      Delete
  4. That's so courageous that you're really going after what you need/want, and making a big change! I hope everything goes well for you, and I feel that at the end of the day, at the very least you'll get to know yourself better!

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off: can't wait to hear about your Ireland adventures! I so, SO badly wanna visit Ireland one day.

    And: keep up on the job front!! I've been reading so many blog posts lately where people are in that job hunting mode - including myself! It can be such a crummy cycle, but it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there. Good for you for quitting a job that made you unhappy! I did the same thing a few years back - I was a Cashier in a grocery store for 8 miserable years, and when I couldn't find a job after graduation, I felt truly stuck there. Finally, I couldn't take it any more and just had to get myself out of there. There comes a point where you gotta take care of yourself - including your happiness. So props to you! :)

    -Lor @ cozycomfyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you made the right decision, we only have one life and can't waste it away being miserable. I did the same a few months ago: I quit a job I hated to get some me time and start my own blog.
    Good luck with everything! :)

    http://carolinapage.eu

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post ! look me too I left my previous job without a new job waiting for me as I was miserable there , stressed and I was working with few nasty peoples and I couldn't bear it anymore. it took me 3 months to found a new job which is ten time better. It wasn't easy , some days I was like panicking but at the end I got what I wanted. Don't give up xxx

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete