Hail, Caesar!

March 05, 2016

1 h 46 mins | 12A | Comedy | Mystery

From the brilliant minds of Joel and Ethan Coen comes Hail, Caesar! An interesting take on the bizarre world of Hollywood film making and the lifestyle that ensues. 


Synopsis

Eddie Manix (Josh Brolin) runs the major Hollywood studio Capitol Pictures his day to day jobs include meetings galore, new job offers and keeping Hollywood's biggest stars in check. The studio's biggest star, Baird Whitlock (George Clooney) is kidnapped and it rests on Eddie's shoulders to find Baird and get the biggest film of year, Hail, Caesar! completed. 

Trailer


My Thoughts

This is an interesting film, firstly lets look at the plot - in true Coen brother's style you should expect the strange and unpredictable. Whilst the "main" story follows the kidnapping of Baird Whitlock (Clooney) there is also an awful lot else going on; Eddie is trying to keep the outrageous DeeAnna Moran (Scarlett Johansson) from yet another Hollywood scandal, he's being offered a normal job by a strange man from the aviation sector and to top it all off Director Laurence Laurentz (Ralph Fiennes) is complaining about his lead actor Hobie Doyal (Alden Ehrenreich). 

The problem with this complicated web is that it is too complicated! Whilst some of these cut aways are entertaining it seems some of them were entirely pointless, I'm still not quite sure why Scarlett Johansson was in the film at all!


I've classed this film as a comedy and I do think it's fair to say that there were some hilarious moments most notably the scene Fiennes and Ehrenreich rehearsing the period drama (see the trailer above). However it felt like these moments were few and far between and there was definitely the odd joke that simply fell flat. 

This film has pulled in some big names and as a result has a very professional finish to it, in particular Josh Brolin is fantastic as Eddie Manix and Alden Ehrenreich's portrayal of Hobie Doyle was my highlight of the film! It's worth bearing in mind that if you're watching this film for a particular star (i.e. Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill and Tilda Swinton) then a lot of the big actors are just cameo parts. 

I think what is most important to remember when you're watching this film is that it is definitely the Coen's interpretation of the bizarre and strange Hollywood ecosystem to almost a parody level, but not quite - I'm sure there is some truth in this interpretation!

Overall the messy plot lines and comedy falling a bit flat in places meant for me that it was watchable but I wouldn't be in a hurry to see it again. 

Score


If you liked this...

You should probably check out Burn After Reading (2008) and The Ladykillers (2004)

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. First of all, I am very happy to discover a blog that writes about something other than beauty. FILMS! YES!
    second, What I don't understand is why professional, famous, supposedly "well trained" writers, cannot seem to create more variations of film-art. Why is everything so mediocre lately?
    That is all. Great post.

    http://cynicalduchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad you've found me! It always seems to be below par writing wise just after the Oscars - the horror film season is upon us!

      Delete
  2. welcome back to the blogging world beauty! I did wonder where you had gone haha
    Sounds like this movie isnt for me, i love comedy but this sounds complicated haha

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back and be more focused! It was a bit complicated and I tried to simplify it down here!!

      Delete
  3. I don't really like movies that have too much going on, but I do like your review :) Thank you for sharing and I'm very happy to have discovered your blog, since I love movies and reading about them :) xx

    http://beautypeptalk.blogspot.hr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it, this really was a very busy film!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you've written this; most people I mention this film to have never heard of it. I'm desperate to see it, if only for the point it looks visually AMAZING! Hopefully the looks will keep me going if I end up getting lost in the plot.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It's definitely not that well known a film, everyone I talk to about it hasn't heard of it either! The set pieces are good, I'd love to have a stroll around a filming lot! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen it yet but I probably will soon, thanks for sharing! I really like your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by I'll be sure to check your blog out :)

      Delete
  6. I think I would like to see this, I haven't read great reviews but I loved Inside Llewyn Davis so would like to see what the next Coen brothers offering is like!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This definitely has a different feel to Inside Llewyn Davis (maybe you should watch A Serious Man!) but I, like you, wanted to see it as I'm a Coen fan :)

      Delete