The Perfect Nearly Spring Cupcake!

by - February 20, 2017

It might finally be starting to look a bit spring like outside but February isn't fooling anyone, needing to beat the winter chills I seized the opportunity of having no plans this weekend to squeeze in a bit of baking – the result, wonderfully warming and decadent ginger cupcakes with lime buttercream topping. Just what you need on a chilly afternoon, the spice or winter with the sharp citrus for spring!

The finished product - I may need to work on my presentation...

For these yummy cupcakes you will need:

200 g Self Raising Flour
200 g Sugar
1 ½ tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
55g Butter (I always like to use salted)
1 Large Egg
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
240 mL Warm Water.


Method:

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (Fan) 200 degrees (conventional) that’s around 350F or Gas mark 4.
Whilst the oven is warming combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl (the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarb).
Cut the butter into cubes, add to the mixture and rub with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Give the egg a quick beat and add that and the golden syrup to the mixture.
Mix in the warm water until fully combined and you have a runny batter.
Divide the mixture into 12 cupcake cases - start with 3 tbsp per case then divide the remaining (there should be about ¾ of a tbsp left for each.
Pop in the oven and bake for around 20 – 25 minutes until golden and springy – I always like to do a skewer test, they’re ready when it comes out clean. 

Whilst the cupcakes are cooling you can get to work on the buttercream.

For the buttercream:

195g of Butter
350 g Icing Sugar
25mL of Fresh Lime Juice (For me that was the juice from 1 ½ limes).
Save some zest for decoration!

Method:

Cream the butter and sugar, add the lime juice and mix until everything is fully combined.
Once your cupcakes have cooled, load up a piping bag with the buttercream and decorate!
I only had a small star nozzle available hence the mashed potato-esq design but feel free to use your artistic flair!
Decorate with a little and of lime zest and enjoy!


Don’t forget to let me know if you have a go at making these little lovelies, I hope you enjoy!

You May Also Like

20 comments

  1. Wonderful recipe - when I get my KitchenAid Mixer I will have to try this!

    Xoxo, Maggie
    http://www.maggiekrol.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so delicious! I've been feeling about baking lately and I've been looking for the perfect recipe
    Dora
    http://www.adropofindigo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dors, happy baking! I love having the time to bake :)

      Delete
  3. Ahh, you've made me hungry, awesome post!
    Beataba.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's always the problem with a food post :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh these have made me hungry - plus the recipe is so simple!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the best cook so for me as simple as possible is best!

      Delete
  5. The recipe looks like they’d be really easy to make & they look so cute! Definitely perfect for almost spring time! Thanks for sharing.

    TFM BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me hungry just reading it! I might have to try these sometime soon, they sound incredible! (LOVE the idea of lime buttercream too)

    Lucy
    www.lucytregidon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buttercream was the cherry on top! Otherwise I find ginger a bit too much, if you make them I hope it goes well!

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous flavor combination! I love ginger and lime so both of these flavors contained into one cupcake sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious! Thanks for sharing :) x

    katieleanne.co.uk

    ReplyDelete